DESCRIPTION SMYC SAILING SCHOOL INSTRUCTOR
The SMYC is looking for a dynamic, young professional to join the team as a sailing school instructor for 40 hours per week. Main responsibilities consist of running the sailing school program, developing youth sailing on island, growing the assistant instructor program and assist in regatta management.
– Plan and run sailing lessons for youth sailors ages 7 – 18 at the St Maarten Yacht Club Sailing School (SMYC Sailing School), from beginners to racers in Optimist, Lasers, Laser Picos and RS Quests.
– Provide feedback to parents on progress youth sailors
– Run Adult sailing classes
– Run private classes for adults and children.
– Assist with running instructor course in summer.
– Schedule assistants.
– Coach and supervise assistants during their lessons and activities.
– Keep track of progress of assistants.
– Plan and execute summer camp in June/July/August
– Plan and execute Fun and Adventure Sails (Saturday afternoon activities)
– Ensure all boats, rigs and equipment are cleaned and stored properly after lessons and events
– Ensure that the docks and sailing school areas are kept clean and clear of debris and garbage at all time.
– Maintain the organization and cleanliness of the work shop, 2nd container and sail storage.
– Ensure all boats and equipment are maintained properly and kept in good condition
– Maintain a maintenance list, recording breakages, repairs, etc. daily with students.
– Report maintenance issues to Managing Instructor/General Manager
– Assist where necessary with St Maarten Heineken Regatta preparation and execution
– During Yacht Club events; support and accompany sailors on the water + supervise and assist on shore committee (volunteers)
– Assist in organizing and planning Yacht Club events.
Includes working on weekends